The Sri Lanka – Greater Mekong Business Council of the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce (formerly known as Sri Lanka – Greater Mekong Subregion Business Council and Sri Lanka – Vietnam Business Council) was inaugurated on 8th June, 2010. The main objective of the Business Council is the further expansion of trade, investment and tourism between Sri Lanka and the Greater Mekong: Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam. The Sri Lanka – Greater Mekong Business Council functions through a group of Businessmen in Sri Lanka. The Council also maintains a close relationship with the diplomatic missions of the Greater Mekong in Sri Lanka.
The functions of the Business Council include:
· Liaising and coordinating with Sri Lanka’s Diplomatic Missions in the partner countries, on matters of relevance to achieve the objectives
· Exchange of information with relevant parties in the partner countries, with regard to trade, investment and tourism.
· Facilitation of meetings between persons from the partner countries seeking business and investment opportunities and relevant persons in Sri Lanka, including Government functionaries.
· Making arrangements for the provision of relevant services to persons from the partner countries seeking business and investment opportunities
· Making recommendations to the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce with regard to policy interventions that may be required, to create a conducive environment for the promotion of trade, tourism and investme